Automated Downloader

Darren Young darren at younghome.com
Fri Sep 1 08:18:18 PDT 2000

Yea, I know all about GUI FTP clients, etc. I like automating things, and I like
having ways of telling that automation to do things differently depending on
where I am. What I started on was something like this: a python scripts that
reads in an xml file that describes to me where to get the source.  The xml file
looks something like this right now:

<package>
    <source name=Bash Version=2.04>
        <description>
            Keeps you from wanting to 'Bash' your system in
       </description>
        <type>FTP</type>
        <server>ftp.gnu.org</server>
        <directory>/pub/gnu/bash</directory>
        <filename>bash-2.04.tar.gz</filename>
        <md5sum>49b548a8b72a4c925ff26930e4c31c6c</md5sum>
    </source>
</package>

The DTD that it's against defines the type as FTP|HTTP|LOCAL. With this I can
simply have a different manifest.xml file depending on where I am at (sed it to
change it). SAX can handle this very easily and so far it does what I need it do
do beyond a simple wget script. Perhaps it's overkill for what I want, but I can
always use the code somewhere else... :-)

Darren Young