Automated Downloader

Thomas 'Balu' Walter tw at itreff.de
Fri Sep 1 09:45:55 PDT 2000

+-Gerard Beekmans-(gerard at linuxfromscratch.org)-[01.09.00 17:06]:
> On Fri, 01 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> > Has anyone worked on a method for "slurping" in a file with a list of
> > all the source pacakges for download? I know when I started with
> > LFS this was the part I most dreaded...
>
> Thomas Walter has created a wget file somewhere that you feed to wget and
> wget will download everything for you. I have no idea where that file went
> to. If Thomas can give us the location once again that would be great. I"ll
> include it on the lfs site as well.

http://www.b-a-l-u.de/LFS
(for the 2.4-file I have to give all the credits to HIghoS (ehm - real
names suck ;) - he was just faster then me this time :)

The only problem with wget is that sometimes it misses packets (because
it is not able to connect to the site (full of users or no route)) - and
it's hard to find that in the long wget-logfile (wget -o logfile). I
tried to get around that by adding "-t 0" (unlimited tries) - which
seemed to work better.

But we should get a cleaner way sooner or later.

btw. You can start right away after wget got the first bash-file, as
compiling usually takes longer (okay - DLing is here at my T1 quite
fast ;).

     Balu