Licensing/Structure

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Sep 5 14:08:33 PDT 2000

> Proprietary binaries have no place in the LFS or ALFS. From what I
> understand this is a GPL based project. The reasoning behind this is to
> deter the very problems that closed source vendors have, that of "too few
> eyes to find the bugs". Without the source code to those binaries anyone
> using them takes the chance that they open their systems to security

I still like to run my Netscape. It's not open source (at least me never
found source code to it then again perhaps I'm not looking hard enough. I
just go to netscape.com and download it from there) I think, but everybody
still uses it, until things like Mozilla become stable enough to use.

A nice GUI browser is often a pre-requisite for an Internet environment (it
is for me anyways. Lynx is nice, but not good enough for me). It would be
nice if Netscape could be installed using ALFS. Perhaps we should contact
somebody about this and before the ALFS installer installs Netscape prints
the Netscape license and the user must agree with the license? Not sure how
to go about this one.