Licensing/Structure

Simon Perreault nomis80 at hotpop.com
Tue Sep 5 17:56:00 PDT 2000

On Mon, 04 Sep 2000, you wrote:

> On Licensing
>
> From the current setup, the only thing I can see us
> licensing, is the profiler and all the associated
> code that goes along with it.
>
> Should we choose a GPL license for the profiler? Or
> do we care what people do with it and we go with a
> BSD license? Or maybe we perform the QT move and
> have three licenses. :) I dunno what we should do, but...
>
> I figure we will have both open source and proprietary,
> maybe even binary only programs that we will want to use
> alfs. Will there be any issues on such things? How can we
> avoid problems later on?
>
> Other licensing issues?

In my mind, binaries-only is out of question. Go for open-source. Why would
you want to do it binaries-only? Usually, people do it because they want to
make money with the product, and then binaries-only is the way to go (unless
you want to use another money-making scheme, ie. selling the tech support a
la RedHat). But making money with this profiler thing isn't going to happen.
So let's go for open source. GPL, BSD, choose your own, as long at you've got
the source with it.

> On Structure
>
> How should we organize ourselves? Should we use
> CVS? Who gets write access? Why? How are bug
> reports submitted? Who is responsible for them?
> Who wants to do more than just test the system,
> and develop the profiler, our main frontend,
> backend? How can we divide work between us, while
> still maintaining some sense of order? Who wants
> to do the website? After we get something
> built/working, should anyone from our group
> publicize our efforts? I mean what if some
> reporter wants to talk to someone? Who can write
> the documentation for alfs? What other questions
> should we be asking?

My programming skills are limited, but I think I can, sometimes, when I drink
a lot of Mountain Dew, have good ides, and also I can write doc that will be
well-writte, understandable, and organized. Since I'll follow closely the
ALFS project, I could write almost any kind of doc. Contact me if you want me
to write doc.