xml structures and some notes

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Tue Sep 5 19:47:29 PDT 2000

Yo,

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 10:05:27PM -0400, Simon Perreault wrote:
<snip>
> > Balu's Ideas
> > -----------
> > A tag that makes it possible to ask the user something would be great
> > (where do you want to install the LFS?)
> >
> > What would this look like?
> >
> > <input>Your question here</input>
>
> Yes, this tag is absolutely needed (am I surprising you here?). But in the
> "official" profiles, they'll seldom be used, and only when absolutely
> necessary, not for interactivity. It's the backend's job to ask for user
> input concerning interactivity. For example, a backend would have
> customizable interactivity levels, and they'd be based on the tags
> themselves. If I set it to "high interactivity", I'd have to say 'Y' every
> step of the way, or only when encountering certain tags. The <input> tag
> wouldn't be there for interactivity. It would be there for, strictly, user
> input (ie. partitioning, or perl setup, or hostname, or things like that).
> But again, these questions could (or should) be asked at the beginning, so
> that you wouldn't have to babysit the installation. But what I'd do is put
> the <input> tags where they belong in chronological order, and it would be
> the backend's job to scour the profile for those tags and ask the questions
> at the beginning, if it is the user's will (ie. interactivity set to zero).

There's no reason to have to BLOAT the XML profile(s) with twice as much as needed.

You don't need no special tags or functions to have interactions, the way it's fitting together right now, the front-end (or perhaps the profiler would be better, remenber that the back-end issuppose to be the dumb tool) could parse the file and make chances on the fly...

Anyways, lemme put my thoughs together and explain what i'm talking about =)

-