xml structures and some notes

Thomas 'Balu' Walter tw at itreff.de
Wed Sep 6 08:02:54 PDT 2000

+-Jesse Tie Ten Quee-(highos at highos.com)-[06.09.00 05:41]:
> Yo,
>
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 10:05:27PM -0400, Simon Perreault wrote:
> <snip>
> > > Balu's Ideas
> > > -----------
> > > A tag that makes it possible to ask the user something would be great
> > > (where do you want to install the LFS?)
> > >
> > > What would this look like?
> > >
> > > <input>Your question here</input>
> >
> > Yes, this tag is absolutely needed (am I surprising you here?). But in the
[...shortened...]

I have seen a Linux-installation where the user was asked this or that
at the beginning and then was able to play tetris until installation
finished... 8o)

> Why???????

Because you sometimes need to ask - perhaps that should be far in the
future, but I thought of a tag like
<input varname="question">Do you want me to do this or that?</input>

As you see I would love to have variables in profiles - for whatever
they may be useful ( Perhaps even multiple-choice inputs would be
great...) but that is something that the ALFS-XML can be extended with
later...

> There's no reason to have to BLOAT the XML profile(s) with twice as much as needed.
>
> You don't need no special tags or functions to have interactions, the
> way it's fitting together right now, the front-end (or perhaps the
> profiler would be better, remenber that the back-end issuppose to be
> the dumb tool) could parse the file and make chances on the fly...

Those interactions should be taken care of at the beginning e.g.

And sometimes you need to ask - the alfs-profile will not only exist of
book 2.x, it should be able to <include file="lll" /> (btw... ;) there
could be one profile to install package-X and a bigger profile
containing some kind of include/link to the other alfs-packages.

ehm - what was I going to say?
Ah - sometimes you need (or want to ask) - Maybe I would like a profile
that asks me "do you want me to configure perl with defaults" and behave
as mentioned (uh - we need more structures to do so 8o)

     Balu