xml structures and some notes

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Wed Sep 6 08:37:25 PDT 2000

Yo,

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 05:02:54PM +0200, Thomas 'Balu' Walter wrote:
> I have seen a Linux-installation where the user was asked this or that
> at the beginning and then was able to play tetris until installation
> finished... 8o)

Caldera.

> Because you sometimes need to ask - perhaps that should be far in the
> future, but I thought of a tag like
> <input varname="question">Do you want me to do this or that?</input>

Nono... don't get me wrong, i'm all for having that exact interacting with users (hell i want todo the first front-end)

But i don't see why we need to add, Yet Another Tag just todo this, consider...

    <package>
        <name>
        binutils-2.10
        </name>
        <configure>
        configure --prefix=/usr --disable-nls
        </configure>
        <make>
        make -e LDFLAGS=-all-static tooldir=/usr
        </make>
        <make_install>
        make -e prefix=$LFS/usr tooldir=$LFS/usr install
        </make_install>
    </package>

Now, you start adding more tags to that and it's going to get messy (hell it's messy allready :)

Take this example, you took the time before install to customize your installation to the letter, but you would like to know how long it takes for something to compile, the front-end could _stop_ the installation each time when it hits a new <package> and wait for the user to hit 'Ok'. (see there's no need for an extra tag)

Now what would happen if, OMG, i forget to change one little thing in the profile and you haven't hit the package yet so you should be able to change it, so...20 minutes later you hit that package but instead of hitting 'Ok' to go on, you hit 'Advanced Configuration' and text thing you know a little dialog (this is the way i want to implement it anyways ;) comes up and you can custimize everything in that package, like change the configure command and add options, etc...

That was kinda me, rambling but do you see what i'm getting at? There isn't no need to add extra TAGs except perhaps a <description> one (you should have that anyways, imho)

> Those interactions should be taken care of at the beginning e.g.
>
> And sometimes you need to ask - the alfs-profile will not only exist of
> book 2.x, it should be able to <include file="lll" /> (btw... ;) there
> could be one profile to install package-X and a bigger profile
> containing some kind of include/link to the other alfs-packages.
>
> ehm - what was I going to say?
> Ah - sometimes you need (or want to ask) - Maybe I would like a profile
> that asks me "do you want me to configure perl with defaults" and behave
> as mentioned (uh - we need more structures to do so 8o)

Right, you don't have to start compile right away, you could sit there for hours customizing it at the beginning of installation.

-