licensing final decisions?

Bryan Dumm bdumm at bobby.bcpub.com
Wed Sep 6 09:23:57 PDT 2000

Howdy,

After seeing the discussion on licensing I think we should get
around to making a decision on what type of licensing we should
go with for alfs....

>From Mark Stone previous email(btw thx for the licensing info/details)

               Worried about hijacking   |   Not worried about hijacking
Building from
source only          GPL, LGPL or MPL                BSD

Allow build from
some binaries        LGPL or MPL                     BSD

Looking at such, I really think we should decide on BSD(my personal choice)
or LGPL. I really don't think we should go with "GPL only" as we will have
binaries, and I will gladly argue with anyone who thinks it should be source
only. :) (I'll be back in a few days so save your flames.).

Out of the two choices I think BSD makes the most sense. I am not
worried about hijacking or a commercial fork as much as us getting a
license and maintaining our copyright. Plus with a BSD license it will
be a whole boatload easier for proprietary programs to use alfs also.
I don't think alfs is going to be primarly binaries or proprietary programs
by a longshot, I just don't think we should exclude them from alfs......

Can we make a decision on this soon? I'm not even going to touch
the other topics till I get back... I think clearing this up though will
help us move forward.

I know some folks are still wondering what we are going to license, I
believe it will be the profiler... but if we can at least decide on a license
to use for our group, we can discuss/change the structure later......

Anyways, have fun everyone, don't kill each other while I am gone. ;)

Bryan