xml structures and some notes

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Wed Sep 6 10:15:06 PDT 2000

Yo,

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 07:29:15PM +0200, Thomas 'Balu' Walter wrote:
> Thats why I want to think of (nearly) all possible tags at the
> beginning. ALFS could be (will?) something that grows like a tree - some
> time it gets messy - you find this not working -> workaround and on an
> on,

And you start doing that now, and we will never start coding (i'm serious) there's a reason you test something to see if it works, The frist time around it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to work, imo

> Not every package is as easy as binutils (or most in the book) - that's
> why I thought of $variables and asking and such...

Agreed, i'm just pointing out we don't need no <input> tag to have interaction. (besides the form of interaction your talking about is limiting)

> You should not need to change the profile (btw - changing an opened file
> is no good idea ;) - you should be able to configure something while ALFS
> is already compiling bash or anything else.

Ok, lemme explain... see below

> I thought of _during_ the installation as in Caldera... (or at the
> beginning)

Ok, put it this way, it's very flexible, you aren't limiting the user whenever they want to modify the profile (really that's up the Front-Ends and the reason we want to write and API for it, so If for whatever you reason you don't like the way it's done, you can code your own)

The user could modify there profile before installation and feed that in, you could modify it at the beginning, during installation, you could even create profiles from scratch depending on how much detail you want to go into (and how much gets coded into a Front-End)

The Front-End is the "pretty" tool that has user interaction and shows the user what's going on.
The Profiler talks to each tool so everything is sane. (amongst other things)
And the Back-End is the lfs-compiler it's the "dumb" tool that just does what it's told.

When you first read in the profile, you could make all kinds of changes then transmit them to the profiler (it would then triple check everythign works) then throw them at the Back-End and your set.

I don't know if that makes sense... i suck when it comes to communication like this, so bear with me.

-