Licensing/Structure

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Wed Sep 6 16:16:51 PDT 2000

Yo,

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 07:32:23PM -0400, Simon Perreault wrote:
> > Now, on to how the profiler CAN be used to make money. Refer to my earlier
> > email regarding LFS for one perfect example. The more granular control you
> > gain on an install the easier you make it for the installer (admins
> > included) to maintain it later. You also make it less work for the admin
> > to have to do by hand. (For those thinking this sounds just like a Red Hat
> > install, think of it like this. In order for someone to make use of that
> > ability on the install he/sho doing the install has to know the configs
> > pretty damn well anyhow to rape the most amount of automation control out
> > of the system.)
>
> So, what's your point? How could money be made with the profiler? Who will make
> money? Everyone who gets to work on it? Will I get at least a penny? I don't
> think so. If the profiler has to be made closed-source to make money, then I
> don't want to have anything to do with it (we won't sell support, so what could
> be sold?). If not, then I'll gladly help for free.

<rant>
WTF is this... there is no way in hell any part of ALFS is going to be "closed-source"

I'm not doing this for money, i'm doing it because i fell like it... ever since i've took my leave from Mountlinux this project (well stuff related to LFS) has kept me going and it's been fascinating from the start. (and for that, i can only say thx you to everyone involved)
And soon, i have to start working again (i've lived off myself for almost 6 months now without getting payed) and i still plan on working on ALFS stuff, regardless.

And out of the "core team" as someone mentioned (which is IIRC, Myself/Gerard/Bryan) aren't about toa make this closed-source to make a few bucks.

You would be surprised what you could sell... There are other meants of making money.
</rant>

Anyways, before i start raving (whee).

-