Licensing/Structure

Simon Perreault nomis80 at hotpop.com
Wed Sep 6 16:32:23 PDT 2000

On Wed, 06 Sep 2000, David D.W. Downey wrote:

> I would have to totally disagree with you there.

You aren't disagreeing as much as you thought... :)

> There is nothing wrong
> with making money off of GPL'd software. Artists and prgrammers both know
> you gotta eat. And selling technical support is a damned good idea!

Agreed. I never said the contrary.

> Now, on to how the profiler CAN be used to make money. Refer to my earlier
> email regarding LFS for one perfect example. The more granular control you
> gain on an install the easier you make it for the installer (admins
> included) to maintain it later. You also make it less work for the admin
> to have to do by hand. (For those thinking this sounds just like a Red Hat
> install, think of it like this. In order for someone to make use of that
> ability on the install he/sho doing the install has to know the configs
> pretty damn well anyhow to rape the most amount of automation control out
> of the system.)

So, what's your point? How could money be made with the profiler? Who will make
money? Everyone who gets to work on it? Will I get at least a penny? I don't
think so. If the profiler has to be made closed-source to make money, then I
don't want to have anything to do with it (we won't sell support, so what could
be sold?). If not, then I'll gladly help for free.

--
-- Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse --
classfield  top-secret government  restricted data information project CIA