xml structures and some notes

Simon Perreault nomis80 at hotpop.com
Wed Sep 6 16:41:00 PDT 2000

On Tue, 05 Sep 2000, Jesse Tie Ten Quee wrote:

> There's no reason to have to BLOAT the XML profile(s) with twice as much as needed.

I don't consider this bloating, I just think we're not making a stupid bash
script or Makefile. We're building something that's going to be used primarily
to build LFS automatically, but should be useable for a lot of other similar
purposes.

> You don't need no special tags or functions to have interactions, the way it's fitting together right now, the front-end (or perhaps the profiler would be better, remenber that the back-end issuppose to be the dumb tool) could parse the file and make chances on the fly...

The way I see it: the front-end is communicating to the backend. So the
front-end is the dumb tool, while the backend is the smart one. Also, you HAVE
to use some way to tell the backend what is optional, what can be changed, what
different ways there are to do things. So you need special tags to do this.
We're not (at least, we SHOULD not) use tags like

<kernelnotinteractive>

that the backend is going to parse and give the user the option to use it or
not, because this tag is not general enough. What happens if I want to write
program X with component Y that can be done 2 different ways? I need a general
tag to specify this kind of situation.

> Anyways, lemme put my thoughs together and explain what i'm talking about =)

Good idea! I should do that sometimes...

--
-- Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse --
classfield  top-secret government  restricted data information project CIA