xml structures and some notes

Fabio Fracassi Fracassi at t-online.de
Wed Sep 6 17:13:57 PDT 2000

Jesse Tie Ten Quee wrote:

> Yo,
>
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 12:54:21AM +0200, Fabio Fracassi wrote:
> > I follow the discussion about Frontend/Profile/Profiler/Backend
> > for quite some time now but I still didn't get some things right.
> > (I suppose I missed the part when these things got defined)
> > In particular I don't understand how the Frontend is supposed to
> > work with/without an <Input> Tag
>
> Why do we need a tag? why can't the Front-End just parse the file?
> There woudn't be a need for another tag then, plus you aren't going to limit _what_ the user can change.
>
> Once you become a Profile Maintainer (lack of a better word) you would have to use your judgement (and personal preference) to add those <input> tags where it's needed, but if the Front-End just had a generic Advance tab that would have everything that package has set in the profile right there for you to change, then i think that's a better option.

I suppose you are right, and I like the sound of it.
I see some problems though.
I don't have the expirience, but is every option changeble and if so,
in what parameters. And even more important,
what options make sense to change?
When does it make sense to do changes throughout the profile, some
packages.
What about dependencies?
In short, the Frontend should help the User to save work and/or make it
simpler
(to understand). Otherwise, you could use a text editor.
IMO there should be a way for the Profile Maintainer to pass that
information to the Frontend/User.
But I suppose that an Input tag is realy unessesary for that prupose,
I like the idea of a <description> Tag like Thomas suggested.

Furthermore something like a <dependesOn>/<IsNeededBy> would help, but
I don't know if such a thing is managable (perhabs as a database?)

Also Categorizing into required/optional as discussed in lfs-discuss is
probably helpful, and already adressed by seperate Profiles.

> Dunno... IMO it's a better way of doing it, if i've messed up ppl then i expect that =)
> Someone have mercy on are souls and put my thoughs into words that mortals can understand.
dito ;)

> *winks*
>
> -

Fabio Fracassi