Licensing/Structure

Simon Perreault nomis80 at hotpop.com
Wed Sep 6 18:07:10 PDT 2000

On Wed, 06 Sep 2000, David D.W. Downey wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Jesse Tie Ten Quee wrote:
>
> > Yo,
> > <rant>
> > WTF is this... there is no way in hell any part of ALFS is going to be "closed-source"
> >

> hey *I* never said ANYTHING about taking ALFS closed source. HE did! I'm
> probably the last person you want to come to for a vote to turn something
> closed source!

I know, I know, mea culpa. I was off track. I now know you didn't mean to do
ALFS closed-source. But you just scared the shit out of me!

> I never made the statement either that anyone was doing this for money. I
> was simply stating that this project DOES have the potential to MAKE
> money! Folks around here seem to act like the word "money" is a dirty
> word. I'm so totally glad that everyone out here has an unlimited supply
> of cash on hand. I know I wish i did. (Sorry for this rant but it really
> gets my goat that so many people think that Open Source means "totally
> 100% free as in cash". Show me where it says that in the GPL and I'll
> gladly retract every one of my statements with a profuse public apology)

First of all, the product source HAS to be obtainable for free. What is
sellable is the support. If you answer all 4 questions in my previous email,
then I'll probably change my mind.

> > You would be surprised what you could sell... There are other meants of
making money. > > </rant>

> My exact point all along.

I agree, but I think you can't find a money-making scheme that would work with
ALFS. If you do, then, could I get a little? :)

--
-- Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse --
classfield  top-secret government  restricted data information project CIA