xml structures and some notes

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Wed Sep 6 18:35:41 PDT 2000

Yo,

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 09:59:19PM -0400, Simon Perreault wrote:
> I'm on Balu's side here. I think we should not touch the keyboard before a
> profile syntax standard has been written. Then the frontends/backends/profilers
> can be based on that standard, not on a particular profile.

I see the need and i agree, but we could spend 6 months talking about the way the tags word, id prefer to a minimal set of tags and get a working LFS-2.4 profile (again i don't see why we have to be perfect frist time around) an API/Standard has revisions... but anyways, i'm trying to stay away from the Profile ;)

Anyways, just someone take charge of writting it (and promise i don't have to wait 6 months) and i'll be happy.

> I'm on Balu's side here again. We _need_ input tags, but it doesn't mean we're
> going to use them. Let's say I want to write a profile that has two levels of
> interactivity: automatic kernel, or configured kernel. I do a conditional based
> on the level of interactivity selected, and then I need to ask the user for
> input, if he has chosen the configured kernel branch. How would I tell the
> front-end to ask for user input, if I don't have the input tag? I can't just
> parse it.

That's a good point, i just don't want to see the input tag used too much.

> Using the front-end to modify a profile before installing it... shweeeeet....

Mmm...

-