let's get the words straight

Simon Perreault nomis80 at hotpop.com
Wed Sep 6 18:51:28 PDT 2000

Seems like there's a bit of confusion about the meaning of
profile/profiler/backend/frontend. We need to give a meaning to each of these,
and we need to all agree on the same meaning.

Here are my definitions:

Profile: An XML document using tags defined in the upcoming standard. This
contains the raw data about how to install the profile. It doesn't give a
radical how (as in: paste this C code in a program, compile, run), but rather a
how that is going to be interpreted and translated in any number of different
programming languages.

Profiler: Doesn't exist. Synonym with backend. (That's only my definition.)

Backend: Parses the profile, and feeds info the the frontent. When the user has
done enough customizations in the front-end and presses the green GO button,
the backend receives that GO and starts doing things, translating the profile
into it's own language.

Frontend: Presents the user with options. That's where the user can interact.
The frontend communicates with the backend.

Please reply with the official definitions.

--
-- Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse --
classfield  top-secret government  restricted data information project CIA