xml structures and some notes

Simon Perreault nomis80 at hotpop.com
Wed Sep 6 18:59:19 PDT 2000

On Wed, 06 Sep 2000, Jesse Tie Ten Quee wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 07:29:15PM +0200, Thomas 'Balu' Walter wrote:
> > Thats why I want to think of (nearly) all possible tags at the
> > beginning. ALFS could be (will?) something that grows like a tree - some
> > time it gets messy - you find this not working -> workaround and on an
> > on,
>
> And you start doing that now, and we will never start coding (i'm serious) there's a reason you test something to see if it works, The frist time around it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to work, imo

I'm on Balu's side here. I think we should not touch the keyboard before a
profile syntax standard has been written. Then the frontends/backends/profilers
can be based on that standard, not on a particular profile.

> > Not every package is as easy as binutils (or most in the book) - that's
> > why I thought of $variables and asking and such...
>
> Agreed, i'm just pointing out we don't need no <input> tag to have interaction. (besides the form of interaction your talking about is limiting)

I'm on Balu's side here again. We _need_ input tags, but it doesn't mean we're
going to use them. Let's say I want to write a profile that has two levels of
interactivity: automatic kernel, or configured kernel. I do a conditional based
on the level of interactivity selected, and then I need to ask the user for
input, if he has chosen the configured kernel branch. How would I tell the
front-end to ask for user input, if I don't have the input tag? I can't just
parse it.

> Ok, put it this way, it's very flexible, you aren't limiting the user whenever they want to modify the profile (really that's up the Front-Ends and the reason we want to write and API for it, so If for whatever you reason you don't like the way it's done, you can code your own)
>
> The user could modify there profile before installation and feed that in, you could modify it at the beginning, during installation, you could even create profiles from scratch depending on how much detail you want to go into (and how much gets coded into a Front-End)

Using the front-end to modify a profile before installing it... shweeeeet....

--
-- Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse --
classfield  top-secret government  restricted data information project CIA