xml structures and some notes

Thomas 'Balu' Walter tw at itreff.de
Thu Sep 7 07:21:33 PDT 2000

+-Jesse Tie Ten Quee-(highos at highos.com)-[06.09.00 20:08]:

> > I thought of _during_ the installation as in Caldera... (or at the
> > beginning)
>
> Ok, put it this way, it's very flexible, you aren't limiting the user whenever they want to modify the profile (really that's up the Front-Ends and the reason we want to write and API for it, so If for whatever you reason you don't like the way it's done, you can code your own)

But if I want to do a profile that asks ... - forget it ;)

> The user could modify there profile before installation and feed that
> in, you could modify it at the beginning, during installation, you
> could even create profiles from scratch depending on how much detail
> you want to go into (and how much gets coded into a Front-End)

btw - fix your width of your lines, looks much nicer this ways than
above...

I am not thinking of people that are able to use an editor - if I want
my mom to install an alfs on her machine - I don't want her to modify an
lfs-xml-profile...

> The Front-End is the "pretty" tool that has user interaction and shows the user what's going on.

How should the front-end know what the package needs for special vars
and such?

     Balu