xml structures and some notes

Thomas 'Balu' Walter tw at itreff.de
Thu Sep 7 07:26:34 PDT 2000

+-Jesse Tie Ten Quee-(highos at highos.com)-[07.09.00 01:26]:
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 12:54:21AM +0200, Fabio Fracassi wrote:
> > In particular I don't understand how the Frontend is supposed to
> > work with/without an <Input> Tag
>
> Why do we need a tag? why can't the Front-End just parse the file?
> There woudn't be a need for another tag then, plus you aren't going to
> limit _what_ the user can change.

Because a user should be able to select if he wants to do perl with or
without being asked all that crazy questions that takes hours to answer.

He could be asked <input question="do you want to install perl using
defaults">$variable</input>.

We need some control-structures to check them, but I think that would be
a nice feature.

> Once you become a Profile Maintainer (lack of a better word) you would
> have to use your judgement (and personal preference) to add those
> <input> tags where it's needed, but if the Front-End just had a
> generic Advance tab that would have everything that package has set in
> the profile right there for you to change, then i think that's a
> better option.

How should the profiler know which settings to be set?

> Dunno... IMO it's a better way of doing it, if i've messed up ppl then
> i expect that =)
> Someone have mercy on are souls and put my thoughs into words that
> mortals can understand.

I could describe this better - using german ;)

     Balu