xml structures and some notes

Fabio Fracassi Fracassi at t-online.de
Thu Sep 7 09:13:32 PDT 2000

Thomas 'Balu' Walter wrote:

> +-Jesse Tie Ten Quee-(highos at highos.com)-[07.09.00 01:26]:
> > On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 12:54:21AM +0200, Fabio Fracassi wrote:
> > > In particular I don't understand how the Frontend is supposed to
> > > work with/without an <Input> Tag
> >
> > Why do we need a tag? why can't the Front-End just parse the file?
> > There woudn't be a need for another tag then, plus you aren't going to
> > limit _what_ the user can change.
>
> Because a user should be able to select if he wants to do perl with or
> without being asked all that crazy questions that takes hours to answer.
>
> He could be asked <input question="do you want to install perl using
> defaults">$variable</input>.

Yes, but the frontend can also asume all the defaults up to that point
the user tells it not to! Based down like this,
If anybody has any complaints he should speak now (before the package is
installed) or remain silent forever (until the next install) :)

> We need some control-structures to check them, but I think that would be
> a nice feature.
>
> > Once you become a Profile Maintainer (lack of a better word) you would
> > have to use your judgement (and personal preference) to add those
> > <input> tags where it's needed, but if the Front-End just had a
> > generic Advance tab that would have everything that package has set in
> > the profile right there for you to change, then i think that's a
> > better option.
>
> How should the profiler know which settings to be set?
Thats a Point, As Gerald stated he'd likes to have any options editable,
and
I think he is right with that. (Programs that restrict you suck)
But we have to think about what to make editable at every given time.
For example should the optimizaton vars be presented with every package
or
globaly or for just a set of packages?
(This isn't a very good example, but there are other parameters, we
might
not even think of now, which ar more difficult to predict.)

The only aproch tp that problem which occured to me(it was raised
before, i belive it was Simon) was defining Interaction levels like
<ask> / <askIfUserWantsTo> / <askExpert> / ... but I dont realy like
that one.

> > Dunno... IMO it's a better way of doing it, if i've messed up ppl then
> > i expect that =)
> > Someone have mercy on are souls and put my thoughs into words that
> > mortals can understand.
>
> I could describe this better - using german ;)
Me to ;)

>      Balu

Fabio