basic philosophy (not a flame, just curious)

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Thu Sep 7 09:43:36 PDT 2000

Yo,

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 10:16:17AM -0700, John Arrowwood wrote:
> I don't know about Debian, but with RedHat, there are some packages that you
> just don't have a choice of.  I tried doing a truely MINIMAL install of
> RedHat 6.2, and it was almost 200 meg, thanks to all the unwanted packages.
> I suspect that LFS will be MUCH smaller, though I've allowed myself to get
> distracted by details and therefore haven't actually FINISHED an install yet
> in order to find out.

Just wanted to throw in... a comple LFS system after you strip all the binaries (take away debugging info) is less then 200MB and under 50MB when compressed.

And that's a complete devel suite (well... C/C++/GNU tools and Perl, blabhablh)

You take away most of that and you can strip her even more, id like to see that actually, as i've seen 60MB Debian installs.....

-