ALFS Communication Design

Simon Perreault nomis80 at hotpop.com
Thu Sep 7 11:13:44 PDT 2000

On Thu, 07 Sep 2000, Thomas 'Balu' Walter wrote:

> > Example: it's stated that the front-end lets you modify things. That
> > eliminates the need of <input> xml tags. So now this removal of <input> no
> > longer is a possiblity: it's a reality.
>
> If it is called <input> or <variable> is really no matter, but how
> should the profiler know what to modify?

How the profiler knows what to modify: it modifies every single variable. And
if a variable has a description, it is even easier to know what you're
modifying. Also, it lets you modify every single part of the profile, just by
parsing it. All the work has to be done by the profiler.

But Balu's point is: what if I absolutely NEED to ask the user a question?
Well, you simply use a variable with a description. And maybe you could use a
tag attribute which says: "Must be modified". Then the front-end could ask "Are
you sure ..." if the user clicks "GO" without having modified that particular
variable.

Balu: Find a case where you need an <input> tag, and post it. I simply can't
think of any.

> > I can't stress enough that this is just a temporary design. It's a delicate
> > issue and I know some people will be at least slightly offended by my
> > seemingly stubornness and not taking other ideas into account.
>
> Yes - I will never talk to you in #lfs again - and !! find your bugs and
> typos yourself !! ;)

And I'll never... uh... well... oh, forget it.

--
-- Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse --
classfield  top-secret government  restricted data information project CIA