xml structures and some notes

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 7 11:51:14 PDT 2000

> > 1) You start an ALFS process by starting up the front-end
> > 2) The front-end asks you to choose a profile
> > 3) The front-end asks you to change things
>
> How should the front-end know what to ask?

The front-end should be configured to ask you to accept each and every little
detail of the profile (that might prove not to be as great as it sounds but
we just need to do test runs to figure that out for ourselves) or only asks
to change particular things. What kind of things? You can decide. You should
be able to tell the front-end that whenever it's going to send something to
the profiler you want to change the installation prefix (you know, the prefix
that is set to /usr by default). Then when the front-end reads the stuff
inside <package></package> sections it asks you to modify the prefix and the
front-end will pass a modified <configure>./configure
--preifx=blah</configure> to the profiler.

Or something like that.

It has been suggested to add <input> or related tags. If that's used then it
looks to me you can only let the front-end ask the user something when it
sees an <input> tag. That would severely limit the user's ability to override
things when <input> is missing. That's how I see it at least.

But let's save this discussion for a new mailinglist which I will announce
later today.