My newbie detailed analysis of the profile

John Arrowwood John.Arrowwood at merant.com
Thu Sep 7 12:45:36 PDT 2000

If I understood correctly, what he wanted was something that took the place
of "make" functionally, not one that could actually parse make files.  I
assume there are lots of such things out there.  A guy I used to work for
created something he called "builder" which had a semi-scripted approach.
who knows, maybe THAT would work!

I think what he was trying to say was that what we are trying to accomplish
is only a more advanced version of what "make" does, and therefore we should
keep that in mind during the design of the tool, so it could perhaps
ultimately replace make...