Simple shell and ALFS compiler

Eric A. Ayer mwalker at ee.pdx.edu
Sat Sep 9 13:04:19 PDT 2000

When waking up htis morning (afternoon), something interesting occured to me.
A year or so ago, I was in a operating systems class, and one of our assign-
ments was to write a simple shell.  It had to parse the command line, support-
int at least one meta character of redirection or pipe.  Being enthusiastic
(and having plenty of time between 3 majors and 2 jobs), I wrote it to parse
and number of meta-characters. still, it was a shell simple enough to make ash
look like a windows product.

This is what occured to me this morning: wouldn't a simple shell like this
serve well as the ALFS compiler?  Basically, commands like "./configure
--prefix=/usr --disable-nls" and "yes \"\" | make comfig" (those are quoted
quotes, since the whole command is in quotes) are fed to the ALFS compiler for
it to execute.  I would also think that both stdout and stderr would likely be
redirected to files, so the front end can do somehting like display them in a
sub-window of ncurses.  That would be where redirection comes in.

I realize that this may not be anything like what people had in mind, but
perhaps it is worth thinking about.  I hope so.  Also, I'm aware that the
other alfs-related maining lists exist, but I didn't think this belonged in
any on them so I put it here.

					-Erik