Bootdisks and Bootable CDs.

David D.W. Downey david.downey at codecastle.com
Sun Sep 10 17:58:06 PDT 2000

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Jesse Tie Ten Quee wrote:

> Yo,
>
> On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 06:53:39PM -0500, David D.W. Downey wrote:
> > Well all of the choices are simplistic to use if youa re doing the 2.2.x
> > kernels. But if youa re going to make any that use the 2.4.x kernels with
> > reiserfs support ( for an advanced ALFS install) you can just about forget
> > about doing a boot + CD isntallation)

kernel size even stripped down takes up too much space in the iamge to be
able to use it for booting. To include reiserfs, SCSI, and (E)IDE support
and the bare minimum number of SCSI adapters like the AHA15xx and the
AIC7xxx and the abse set of the SymBIOS cards (the top 3 used cards out
there) drives the kernel size up tremendously. There is some severe kernel
bloat going on but Alan gets kind of mad when you tell him that. :-)

> Why? I don't see why it would be (alot) more complicated.
>
> > To tell you the truth though, I would much rather see a straight CD
> > isntallation without a boot disk at all. This is extrememly helpful for
> > folks like me that have no floppy drive on their laptops but want to doa
> > custom install.
>
> I'm not sure if i was clear enough, but that's exactly what is only going to
> be supported right now, to my knowledge.
>
> -
Sounded to me like you were making it so you needed a flopy AND the cd
rather than just the CD.