Bootdisks and Bootable CDs.

KL Davis info at nanux.com
Sun Sep 10 18:42:19 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: David D.W. Downey <david.downey at codecastle.com>
To: <alfs-discuss at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2000 8:58 PM
Subject: Re: Bootdisks and Bootable CDs.

> kernel size even stripped down takes up too much space in the iamge to be
> able to use it for booting. To include reiserfs, SCSI, and (E)IDE support
> and the bare minimum number of SCSI adapters like the AHA15xx and the
> AIC7xxx and the abse set of the SymBIOS cards (the top 3 used cards out
> there) drives the kernel size up tremendously. There is some severe kernel
> bloat going on but Alan gets kind of mad when you tell him that. :-)

My "live CD" that was used to build VooDoo Linux had a pretty full featured
boot.
The kernel had quite a bit of stuff  built in and the initrd image does not
need to be
that big,,, just enough to find the CDROM and mount it... then ya got lots a
room!

Keep in mind, the El Torito Specs provide for a 2.88MB image?