Bootdisks and Bootable CDs.

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Sep 10 19:42:36 PDT 2000

Let me jump in the middle of this discussion as I usually do...

I'd like to see a cd that you boot off that doens't require a floppy disk to
start with. I know it's possible, just have to figure out how to. I know
Jesse has done it already but hasn't had to time to write down how he did it,
so I've been fooling around with it today myself. I got to boot off a cd, but
after it mounted the cdrom drive as the root system it gave me a "unable to
open initial console". /dev/console was present (both on the cd itself and in
the boot image that I provided mkisofs with). But that's not the point right
now.

We need to have a boot floppy disk available for those systems that
can't boot of a cdrom.