Bootdisks and Bootable CDs.

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Sun Sep 10 20:42:06 PDT 2000

Yo,

On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 10:42:36PM -0400, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> I'd like to see a cd that you boot off that doens't require a floppy disk to
> start with. I know it's possible, just have to figure out how to. I know
> Jesse has done it already but hasn't had to time to write down how he did it,
> so I've been fooling around with it today myself. I got to boot off a cd, but
> after it mounted the cdrom drive as the root system it gave me a "unable to
> open initial console". /dev/console was present (both on the cd itself and in
> the boot image that I provided mkisofs with). But that's not the point right
> now.

Ohh... i remenber bashing my head agains't that the other day, can't
remenber what it is now, either way i want to get something done for
this morning (at least the initial CDROM bootdisk).

> We need to have a boot floppy disk available for those systems that
> can't boot of a cdrom.

When you create an Eltorito/RockRidge FS, you need to have a working
boot image anyways for the cdrom, and as long as you include rawrite for
windows then you have nothing to worry about, just
dd if=/mnt/cdrom/boot/boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1k
That is, as long as the hardware is supported.

-