alfs-0.3 chroot

richard at reika.demon.co.uk richard at reika.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 11 01:06:19 PDT 2000

The next version on my installation scripts will be called
ralph (richard's alfs) to avoid confusion with with the
alfs project.

Plagierized from James J. on Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 06:10:22PM -0400:

> I've been poking around the alfs-0.3 script's enter_chroot stage and
> can't figure out why the author has bash run the /usr/src/alfs/retry
> script when he calls chroot. Anyone (like, oh, maybe the author;) know
> why?

Lazyness

I am to lazy to debug all the possible ways of getting to one point
in the script, so I modify that state files until "alfs retry"
will be able to handle it.

./alfs start_fresh
MMakes a file with a list of things to do, and then exec ./alfs retry

./alfs start_static
MMakes a file with a list of things to do
delete the things that were done during the static install
Unpack a pack a backup of the static install
exec ./alfs retry

./alfs start_standard
aas above, but with a backup of the standard installion

./alfs skip
rremove the first item from the list of things to do
exec ./alfs retry

./alfs upgrade package1 package2 ...
PPut package1 package2... in the list of things to do
exec ./alfs retry chroot

enter chroot:
Put the list of things to do in the chroot environment
./alfs retry chroot

Richard

PS
The next version on my installation scripts will be called ralfs
(richard's automated linux from scratch) to avoid confusion with
the project in alfs-discuss.

That will probably be the last version of ralfs because I will
have to get a job one day, and I intend to contribute to the
real alfs.

I did ralfs because some months ago, alfs was going to wait until
LFS-BOOK-2.4.0 was out, I did not want to wait, and a quick sketch
can show up some problems that the real project will face.