Bootdisks and Bootable CDs.

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 11 04:23:38 PDT 2000

A lot of these bootdisk emails are based on "download an image from blah and
burn your cdrom with it".

It has been said by others but I want to stress out: we should not download
anything. Even the bootimage that will be copied from a floppy disk if
necesarry (or just dd if=/dev/zero of=boot.img bs=1k count=1440 or 2880 to
get the right image size) should be created from scratch. I think the best
place to start with such a thing would be the Bootdisk-HOWTO (just to read
the info you need to create your own Linux bootdisk)

The idea I was having up to a few days ago was to give instructions how to
create your own bootdisk (I don't find the info in the Bootdisk-howto too
clear at certain points), burn it to cd together with all the packages you
need, all the stuff from chapter 5 (up to chroot + a few extra programs like
mke2fs, fdisk, mount and others), reboot the system, put cd in the computer,
install it and document all this in one of the LFS-2.5.x books. I had the
perfect candidate to test that setup ; a notebook with an empty hdd (it ran
LFS-1.3 still so I wanted to repartition and reinstall LFS anyways). But
surely enough, the notebook died a horrible dead. I've taken it apart,
unplugged all the devices and it seems like a power distribution problem. The
lower voltage cirquit seems to work still (certain leds still light up) but
the higher voltage cirquit (in normal PC's there are 6Volt and 12Volt
ciruits. Something similar is in notebook's) seems dead for some reason.
Harddisk doesn't spin up, screen doesn't light up and the CPU stays cold. It
has been speculated that the BIOS could be overwritten somehow but that
doesn't explain the harddisk not spinning up. I don't think that's controlled
by the BIOS, unless it goes into standby mode right away (infinite APM
loop?). Anyways gotto find a Toshiba here in Toronto and see if I can drop it
there and have them fix the thing. Sob, it was a good notebook. Anybody want
to attend it's funeral?