Bootdisks and Bootable CDs.

ghovs root at spoon.thereis.no
Mon Sep 11 08:42:00 PDT 2000

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> A lot of these bootdisk emails are based on "download an image from blah and
> burn your cdrom with it".
>
> It has been said by others but I want to stress out: we should not download
> anything. Even the bootimage that will be copied from a floppy disk if
> necesarry (or just dd if=/dev/zero of=boot.img bs=1k count=1440 or 2880 to
> get the right image size) should be created from scratch. I think the best
> place to start with such a thing would be the Bootdisk-HOWTO (just to read
> the info you need to create your own Linux bootdisk)
>
> The idea I was having up to a few days ago was to give instructions how to
> create your own bootdisk (I don't find the info in the Bootdisk-howto too
> clear at certain points), burn it to cd together with all the packages you
> need, all the stuff from chapter 5 (up to chroot + a few extra programs like
> mke2fs, fdisk, mount and others), reboot the system, put cd in the computer,
> install it and document all this in one of the LFS-2.5.x books. I had the
> perfect candidate to test that setup ; a notebook with an empty hdd (it ran
> LFS-1.3 still so I wanted to repartition and reinstall LFS anyways). But
> surely enough, the notebook died a horrible dead. I've taken it apart,
> unplugged all the devices and it seems like a power distribution problem. The
> lower voltage cirquit seems to work still (certain leds still light up) but
> the higher voltage cirquit (in normal PC's there are 6Volt and 12Volt
> ciruits. Something similar is in notebook's) seems dead for some reason.
> Harddisk doesn't spin up, screen doesn't light up and the CPU stays cold. It
> has been speculated that the BIOS could be overwritten somehow but that

Any harddisk will spin up, with or without the drive connector plugged
into anywhere, when it gets power.
afaik, this goes for every SCSI and every IDE harddisk.
Hm, no, wait... some older SCSI devices will insist on getting the start
unit command before spinning up.
(tho I don't think your laptop has any historically interesting SCSI
disks)