Bootdisks and Bootable CDs.

SamBC sambc at nights.force9.co.uk
Mon Sep 11 15:03:48 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerard Beekmans" <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org>

> A lot of these bootdisk emails are based on "download an image from blah
and
> burn your cdrom with it".
>
> It has been said by others but I want to stress out: we should not
download
> anything. Even the bootimage that will be copied from a floppy disk if
> necesarry (or just dd if=/dev/zero of=boot.img bs=1k count=1440 or 2880 to
> get the right image size) should be created from scratch. I think the best
> place to start with such a thing would be the Bootdisk-HOWTO (just to read
> the info you need to create your own Linux bootdisk)

While it is undoubtedly vital to the idea of (a)lfs that people get the
know-how to do it themselves, we should ensure that it is possible for
people with no linux (or other POSIX/*NIX) OS installed to do the job. That
means downloaded images or purchased (at cost) CD-ROMs

If you disagree, you may as well argue that everyone write their own GCC
from scratch ;o)

SamBC

--
I hate windows even more these days after it crashed half-way through
installing a winsock update and I had to reinstall Windows to get the net to

I will cry with joy when I am able to use Linux for the net (don't ask why I
can't it's too long a story)