Bootdisks and Bootable CDs.

Darren Young darren at younghome.com
Mon Sep 11 20:34:41 PDT 2000

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, WanSLenowski wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> > > While it is undoubtedly vital to the idea of (a)lfs that people get the
> > > know-how to do it themselves, we should ensure that it is possible for
> > > people with no linux (or other POSIX/*NIX) OS installed to do the job.
> > > That means downloaded images or purchased (at cost) CD-ROMs
> > >
> > > If you disagree, you may as well argue that everyone write their own GCC
> > > from scratch ;o)
> >
> > Point well taken. But why download some slackware or redhat boot image when
> > you can create one yourself? It's not as difficult as writing gcc from
> > scratch.
>
> Creating a bootdisk can teach you a few things about Linux in general
> that downloading cannot.  The Bootdisk-HOWTO is a little rough the first
> time through, but a few pointers will make it more acceptable.

This is precisely the reason I started to create a breakdown of the way
other dists do what they do. Why re-invent the wheel? The bootdisk howto
is a great start, but taking a look at the dists that are out there, maybe
even using some of the source, seems like the best place to start (at
least for me).

--
Darren Young
http://www.younghome.com/darren
darren at younghome.com

"Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing"
   -Albert Einstein