Subject: Bootdisks and Bootable CDs.

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Sep 12 11:52:19 PDT 2000

> So, if you are the person responsible for this part of development, just
> let me know? It would also be great if you published a project document (on
> the source forge site?) that defined the subproject goal, milestones and a
> list of those things you want input on -- as well as a list of things that
> are already decided and will not change?

SourceForge is just a mirror site. Everything will end up on
linuxfromscratch.org and mirror'ed on lfs.sourceforge.net, not the other way
around. But that's just a technical thing.

Ok let me set my record straight. I think we're basing our reactions on
mutual misunderstandings.

The whole boot(/root) disk + cdrom is to become a system that you can boot
off. At first we'll have to assume that the system has a cdrom player. Later
on network support will be built-in so you can connect to the net and get
your stuff. But that's not the issue right now.

Ok what do we need:
1) cdrom that has the source packages on it and the static files to enter
chroot
2) a way to boot the system.

The main discussion seems to be the way how the system is booted. The cdrom
itself will be bootable but for those systems that can't boot off a cdrom, a
floppy disk will be available.

So we need to provide the user with an image so he or she can write his own
bootable disk using rawrite or something like that. Or even using 'dd' if you
have access to Linux.

That boot image is what I'm most interested in: I have seen suggestions that
we should grab a RedHat or Slackware or whatever boot image and make that one
available. That's the only thing I don't agree with.

No I don't expect every user to create his own boot image, that's why we are
providing it for the user. But the image we are going to provide will be made
from scratch. The idea I have:
1) I get an empty floppy disk
2) I read through the bootdisk-howto
3) I create a bootable floppy disk
4) I upload the image to linuxfromscratch.org for others to download.

Now I don't care if I make the image or somebody else, but I have two
requirements before that image is uploaded, which are:

1) the image has to be made from scratch, not using redhat's boot.img file or
something similar

2) the process of creating the image must be documented so others who don't
want to download an image can create their own (customized - which is the key
element) image.

Sure, look at the image and instructions from RedHat, you have to get the
information to build the image and disks from somewhere.

So to recap:
I as user Joe have a blank floppy and blank cdrom which are unbootable. Using
instructions from the LFS-BOOK or whereever they end up I end up with a
floppy disk and a cdrom that are bootable and can be used to install LFS.

I hope I have cleared a few things up now.