Subject: Bootdisks and Bootable CDs.

KL Davis info at nanux.com
Tue Sep 12 13:38:50 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Jason Gurtz <jason at tommyk.com>
To: <alfs-discuss at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 4:24 PM
Subject: RE: Subject: Bootdisks and Bootable CDs.

> That's the tough one.  How does thee compile the compiler w/o a binary?
> I could imagine a good Crack coming up with a compiler that introduces
bugs
> into a compiler that it compiles.  In a certain sense, there's always a
> level of trust, even though you may have the source.  Besides, the
finished
> system will have none of the binaries off the boot disc, it's sole purpose
> being to boot the system and allow access to where ever the sources are,
and
> build a development environment.

True... there has to be a base level of trust, even with a commercial
compiler that you are paying good money to make sure it is made from
pristine code? Arrghh! It's that whole chicken and the egg thing!

> Yeah, I noticed an attitude emminating from that proj. and indeed the
> Mailing list was(is?) somewhat hostile at times.  Still, I wasn't
suggesting
> we use his system (like he'd give us the scripts or what ever) just, use
the
> general idea of it.  BTW, The Plan9 system
> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/ also uses a similar web based tool
> allow downloading a floppy image with the right drivers.

Funny... I was just working on an email to Gerard to suugest that he open a
project on SF to let people start building the bt/rt/ disk set... could use
CVS to track the build and then make them available on the LFS website for
DL - I envisioned a PERL or PHP page that the user did just that, selected
the base components of the sytstem and was provided a link to the correct
disk set... now, I need not finish that email.