Results of LUG meeting.

Jeffery McLean jeffery at meowpawjects.com
Tue Sep 12 18:32:35 PDT 2000

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> 	Of course, the naysayers had to show up and I got the comment, "It'll turn
> out to be another distribution in the end."  I parried, pointing out some
> details of current thought on the profiles, pointing out some differences
> with simple package management and current dist. install methods.

Time city had IRC meetings and it never really worked out
there was allways a larg segment of people who never showed up.

An idea instead of meetings so much as set up a timeline..
"This week we talk about XXX" on a meeting list
we talk about XXX and when the week is over...  the meeting is
declared "Over" and a new topic is announced...

Annother idea.. ok plug "ZenToe.cgi" Not needing ZenToe just had to say that
anyway use a web forum.. Like SlashCode, SquishDot, Scoop or
ZenToe.cgi... set up a topic and talk.. let people give input from the outside
world etc... Says "This is what we are doing... join us"
such a forum would also play dubble dutty for tech support questions
so people don't need to join the list to ask questions...

On "Yet Annother distrobution"
I don't think there is such a thing....
Each Distro has something intresting to offer...
Slackware is layed back into old Unix design...
RedHat is directly challanging Microsofts Windows NT by being a
full drop in replacement for NT...
Suse less a drop in replacment as a sereous enhancment over
NT

This is Linux on the cutting edge...
rummor has it a lady called tech support asking about 486 enhanced
mode...
Basicly some functions run faster on the 486 and some functions run
faster on the 386...
Programmers shooting for speed will use commands that run fast on the
386 that are faster than the more powerful counterparts...
on the 486 the more powerful counterparts are not slow anymore...
so a speed increase can be had by recompiling with the improved 486
in mind over the 386...

Go forward... Pentium [Pro/MMS/II/III/IV], Xeon, Celeron.
Each with slight diffrences and most with major diffrences...
and thats just the Intel line....

It should take a small ammount of effort to make this run on
any given computer that can run Linux...

There is annother distro that compiles Linux from source
however it suffers the hangback Debian suffers...
It's Rock Linux... Rock for Rock solid.... by compiling from source
it is simple for the Rock team to port to any given platform
(Port to Mac was done in hours... Vs RedHats months for a similer
port)

LFS however isn't "Rock Solid" and instead shoots for cutting edge...
Right now for cutting edge you need to just updata your existing
Linux distro by hand...

The advantage of this... This lets develupers (like me) work on
apps using the latest software. A few months later this same software
will hit RedHat and Slackware... but it can be on LFS !NOW!...

Also for gammers (who are not know for worrying about reliability)
The latest software NOW... Not waiting for Microsoft or RedHat to
deside a feature is ready... Not waiting for code to optomise to the
box being used.. not waiting for anything... Compile it NOW...
Get those extra frames out of the next beta of XFree and Mesa...
get the beta drivers... the prototype kernel with "faster than light"
data support... Don't wait...
This gets the newest stuff out for those who want cutting edge...
I don't mind cutting edge as long as I can fix the bugs myself instead
of waiting around.
And I sereously doupt I'm anywhere near unqiue...

Windows gives some speed improvement in frame rates so gammers
put up with viruses, back oraface, and blue screen....
I don't mind as long as I know I won't have to put up with it for very long...

Thats what LFS is for me... yeah bugs.. ok... bugs today.. new bugs tomarow
but yesterdays bugs are dead...

And Linux is "Many eyes" find bugs... with a body of users who are willing
to put up with bugs as long as they themselfs can fix them the many
eyes rule works better....
ITs can't risk being down while a programmer finds the bugs...
They get confused... lacking the many eyes Windows is worse...

Get the many eyes in BEFORE ITs get the software...
They don't want to be guinny pigs... and thats understandable...
It's just hard to explain how the alternitive is worse...
The choice is between software that you test vs software that no body tests..

If they can get software someone allready tested.. they'd be happy...
So if Linux can be tested while on the cutting edge... by us...
others can have something that has allready been tested...
Thats what Debian and Rock is ment to be... but It would be nice
if the issues can be attrested before it gets to RedHat and Slackware...

Anyway... thats just my view.... and having a cutting edge distro
helps Linux in many ways...
Including the mem of there being a cutting egde distro....

http://www.meowpawjects.com/ Doing the impossible daily
Come see my projects and download my code. Open source all the way....