Defining ALFS

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Sep 12 18:41:40 PDT 2000

> ALFS on the other hand clearly has another meaning.  A stands for
> automated?  Meaning things are done mostly without their assistence.
> Defining an ALFS user, someone who wants to compile all packages
> from scratch and setup their system according to a preset profile,
> possibly modified here and there.

...without having to type in all those compilation commands.
YYes, that's one group of people. But not the only ones.

It also provides a nice way to setup a machine that does a certain task. Say
you want to setup a firewall. Get the lfs-firewall profile and let it run.
You end up with a box that's suitable to be a firewall. Nothing more, nothing
less. There are hundreds of other ideas to give. Bryan is better on
explaining this kind of thing (he's more of a business person that I am)