Subject: Bootdisks and Bootable CDs.

KL Davis info at nanux.com
Wed Sep 13 06:08:14 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Jesse Tie Ten Quee <highos at highos.com>
To: <alfs-discuss at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2000 3:48 AM
Subject: Re: Subject: Bootdisks and Bootable CDs.

> (btw DMA/66-100 is bs, the drives can still run at 33)

Yes, I am quite aware that most drives are backwards compatable with DMA/33
and even older standards. And I would tend to agree that DMA/66 is hype (not
so much BS) - But... I do not know is you have looked over the white papers
for ATA/100? It is a rather sophisticated TX technology! (and I am not just
saying this because Quantum supplies me with free test and evaluation
drives!).

What I would like to know, if you really have figured this out? Is how you
access a HDD mounted on a HPT or Promise interface without support for the
device?! The fact is, some of the prototype and reference mobos we get have
dropped a lot of the antiquated technology (a good thing)... so we see
boards now with no ISA slots and itegrated ATA/100 (RAID) support... and,
ah... IDE plugs are left on only to support CDROM devices - are they also
going to go the way of the buffalo soon?

This is not really a problem, as drivers (test) are available for nealry all
the interfaces -- but I really would dig if you could explain to us less
informed if you know a way to access through these new controllers without
adopting the standard?

BTW... If you are really interested in looking at a new bootup idea... let
me know? I would have to send a NDA for your company to sign (not my idea!),
but it is a pretty simple (and cool) method?

Later...