A possible direction for nALFS

Jamie Bennett jamie_bennett at pcpmicro.co.uk
Thu Dec 4 06:56:34 PST 2003

Kevin P. Fleming wrote on 01 December 2003 14:18:
> I'm not opposed to the idea of having a central
> repository of profiles on someone's server and nALFS
> having some standardized way of referencing those
> profiles, so if you can put together a concrete design
> and some examples we can certainly consider it.

I like the idea of a central repository, kind of like Gentoo's
portage. A

	# nALFS --update-profiles

could download a list of current profiles from a remote server
and put them in /var/nALFS/profiles, ready for you to install.
I think nALFS needs something like this if it is to gain greater
popularity.

nALFS has been just bobbing along now for quite some time, I think
we need to concentrate on more mainstream features such as remote
downloading of profiles, uninstall facility and dependency
calculation if we are to attract more interest (development and
user), unless the aim of nALFS is to remain small and niche like?

Jamie