LFS "current profile link"

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 10 06:48:45 PST 2003

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Just create seperate versions and symlink the latest as
> <profile-LFS-stable.tar.bz2> (which is also a better name then
> profile-LFS-current btw). This way you only need to maintain the symlink.

I was originally going to use "stable", but we have multiple profile
releases for the "stable" book, so I though that might be confusing.
I've switched over the "stable" anyway, it's the more common usage for
this sort of thing.

>> As a temporary measure, I have created a hardlink called
>> profile-LFS-current.tar.bz2 in the ALFS profiles download directory;
>> the snapshot script will use this name to get the latest profile. I
>> wanted to use a symlink (so it would show up that way in people's web
>> browsers), but the LFS server does not have "follow symlinks" enabled
>> for this directory, so I used a hardlink.
>

> Symlinks are handled just fine; I just tested & verified it.

They sure are; I don't know what went wrong the first time I tried it.

Thomas/Jamie: There is now a symlink called profile-LFS-stable.tar.bz2
in the /home/www.linuxfromscratch.org/alfs/downloads/profiles directory,
currently pointing to profile-LFS-5.0-2.tar.bz2. If you should have
reason to release an updated LFS-5.0 profile, please ensure the symlink
is updated as well. The nALFS CVS snapshot script uses this symlink to
incorporate the latest "released" profile into the nALFS tarball, and
the nALFS distribution instructions will be updated to use this version
as well.