CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Dec 11 17:35:34 PST 2003

Jamie Bennett wrote:

>   Currently, the profile supports the setting of CFLAGS and
> CXXFLAGS but this is not in the book. The question is, should
> we continue to support this or make the profiles conform
> exactly to the book?

I figured I'd wait to hear others' opinions, but noone has chimed in yet :-)

I think that the profiles are OK, as long as the README (or config) file
tells people that applying any CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS settings moves them away
from the actual book build process. I also think that actually using
optimizations once you have successfully done a "fully by-the-book
build" is common enough that people will appreciate having all the
plumbing in place to make that pretty easy (especially the
CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS overrides on gcc and glibc).

So, my vote is to leave them, and just make sure the profile
documentation includes a fairly stern warning about not using them
unless you are prepared to deal with the consequences.