make oldconfig is halting

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Dec 26 11:41:49 PST 2003

Kfir Lavi wrote:

> when nALFS tries to execute 'make oldconfig' it get stuck and just
> ctrl-c get me out to the shell.
> xconfig and menuconfig don't work. each with his error.
> Is there a way to skip this step. I already have my .config prepared.
> make menuconfig gives the error that it can't open display or console (
> not the exact parse ).
> How can i make 'make menuconfig' work from nALFS?

The standard LFS profile expects a ready-to-go .config file to be
present, and has an entity named "kernel-config" for you to specify
where that file is located. "make oldconfig" should work fine as long as
your .config file is up to date and doesn't force it to ask you any
questions. You can't skip this step, because the kernel compilation
requires that at least _one_ of the "config" targets has been
successfully run before building the kernel can proceed.

You cannot run menuconfig/xconfig from within nALFS, becuase their
input/output has been redirected to pipes, not the terminal.