Different profile "modes"

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Sat May 17 02:39:25 PDT 2003

On Saturday 17 May 2003 04:33, you (Gerard Beekmans) wrote :
 > On May 16, 2003 06:48 pm, Timothy Bauscher wrote:
 > > Conditionals were discussed a while back. This may be only one
 > > such occassion:
 >
 > So, it so seems that adding the <if> tag didn't quite work out. Adding a
 > simple condition resulted into having to redo the IPC.
 >
 > I'll think of something else to help me get by.

Here a suggestion (not yet very thought about it though, just getting
out of bed right now...)

Put the parts that are different into a few files you store in a
separate directory, say one called cvs/ , one called boot-cd/ and
one called fast/ . Then link the directory to a known and constant
name ( for example current -> cvs ).

Next wherever you need the conditional to apply, include the file
current/checks.xml (for example) the same way the packages are
included in LFS-X.Y.xml .

cvs/checks.xml and boot-cd/checks.xml would contain

<make>
  <param>check</param>
</make>

and fast/checks.xml would contain nothing (empty file).

Then in all the packages, use an entity &package_check; between the
make and the make install tags.

The same applies for fstab, where boot-cd/fstab.xml would differ from
the two others.

Then, whenever you have a conditional, you solve the problem by
adding a <!ENTITY foo SYSTEM "current/foo.xml"> in system.xml, and
a reference to that entity where it applies.

That shall solve the check and fstab issues.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, maybe I missed some point, maybe I'm
still asleep, maybe I knocked my head to hard on the screen this
morning, maybe I drank too much Guinness last night, but that's what
I'd use... Well in fact, that's what come in Vassili's profile at
least for fstab. That sounds good to me.

Regards,
Yann.

--
[ signature trimmed! ;-) Hehe! Waiting for a new one suited for MLs! ]
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org