Why entities if you have <xi:include>...

Jamie Bennett jamie_bennett at pcpmicro.co.uk
Thu May 29 09:02:02 PDT 2003

Neven Has wrote on 29 May 2003 17:16
>On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 09:30:16PM +0100, Jamie Bennett wrote:
>> I'm in the process of completing a PLFS nALFS profile using xinclude
>> exclusively. I didn't seen any problems with using it apart from the
>> fact that some paths need to be hard coded.
>
>I don't think there's more to hard code then when using entities?
>Or there is?

I suppose not. I really like to use XInclude now-a-days as it makes
profile writting and updating a whole lot simpler. I have a standard
'header' that goes into every profile in the form of :-

<!DOCTYPE alfs SYSTEM "../nalfs-dtd" [
	<!ENTITY % settings	SYSTEM	"../../settings.xml">
	%settings;

	<!ENTITY name		"binutils">
	<!ENTITY version		"2.13.2">
	<!ENTITY package		"&name;-&version;.tar.bz2">
	<!ENTITY unpack-dir	"&name;-&version;">
	<!ENTITY compile-dir	"&name;-build">
	<!ENTITY md5		"cd1639c9d74c0d487470e7eece47faea">
	<!ENTITY download
"ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/&name;/&package;">
]>

>BTW, to answer Gerard, personally, I haven't used Xinclude in my
>profiles, because of some other parsers might not support it.  If you
>use nALFS, there's no reason not to use it.  And I'm probably going to
>start using it myself eventually, in the profile that comes with
>nALFS.

Great news.

BTW, good to see a little more activity on this list again. ;)

>Neven

	** http://www.linuxuk.org ***********************
	* Jamie Bennett  		   jamie at linuxuk.org *
	* Software Engineer	   Bath,                *
	* PCP Micro Products Ltd,  BA2 8EJ.	            *
	* Lower Bristol Road,                           *

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org