nALFS and Busybox

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Wed Sep 10 08:13:15 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:50:53AM +0200, Joerg W Mittag wrote:
> Dermot Bradley wrote:
> > Nevin - could you change nALFS to use the "tar -z" and "tar -j"
> > options instead to handle gzip and bzip2 files in a portable
> > manner (as both standard tar and Busybox tar understand these).
>
> Actually, standard tar does neither have a 'z' option nor a 'j'
> option and does not allow dashes prepended to options (see:
> http://opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcu/tar.html). The
> portable way would be something like 'gzip -d %s | tar xvf -'.

Yes, it used to be "bzip2 -dc %s | tar xv" for .tar.bz2 files, but I
remember there were some problems with that.  The whole thing will
return 0, even in case when bzip2 doesn't exist.  We could check for
bzip2 separately to solve that; I don't remember if that was the only
reason for switching to --use-compress-prog.

I would love to avoid using pipes, but I'm not sure if that's possible
in portable way?

Neven