Calling Developers and CVS Gurus

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Sep 16 07:36:21 PDT 2003

On Tue, 16, Sep, 2003 at 09:01:06AM -0500, James Robertson spoke thus..
> The CVS add is simple, but the rest is harder.  As I noticed on the
> lfs-dev list a little bit ago, we need to make sure that all of our
> ducks are in a row before we go hog wild with tags and brances.  I was
> thinking of this:
>
> HEAD
>  + - 1.1 Branch and 1.1.7 tag for the current version.
>  + - 1.2 Branch - where we are actively developing.
>
> Is this sound? Or is HEAD where we are actively developing and when we
> release 1.2.0, we create a branch?

In my experience, it's normal to use HEAD for the "unstable" development
and then branch off a series as you do so; e.g:

          1.1.x          1.2.x
         / (branch)     /
        /              /
HEAD------------------------------------------>

within the 1.1.x and 1.2.x branches, you'd then tag each release as
it's made.

As for the initial setup, i'd pull the sources in as is, make a 1_1 branch them
immediately tag the 1_1 branch as 1_1_7.  Work towards 1.1.8 (if that's
going to happen) can then happen on the 1_1 branch, and future work on
HEAD.  Once 1_2 is coming nearer, branch 1_2 and work on that branch
with unstable stuff waiting for 1.3 on HEAD.  Repeat forever.

Just my thoughts,

Oh, and please CC me on replies - I'm not on alfs-discuss any more (lack
of time to read it).

Mark

"The relationship between journalists and politicians has often been likened
 to that between a dog and a lamp post, although I have never worked out who
 is supposed to be which."
     Nick Assinder, BBC Online Political Correspondent