Calling Developers and CVS Gurus

Anderson Lizardo andersonlizardo at yahoo.com.br
Wed Sep 17 10:33:58 PDT 2003

[cross-posting to alfs-discuss]

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I would think that C is not the best language.  You are doing a lot
> of string manipulation and other languages do that better than C.
> Perl would be my initial choice because of its regular expression
> capability.  Besides, it wouldn't have to be compiled.

I agree with you. For the current main ALFS purpose (an automatic system
build tool for the Toolchain/QA team), a script-driven language is
easier to maintain and debug than a write/compile/fix/recompile/run
tool. Minor bugs can be easily traced, as we can easily discover if the
problem is related to the LFS-BOOK instructions or to the ALFS tool
itself.

But an ALFS tool written in C has a key advantage: it can be compiled
statically. This could be useful to create a static and isolated
run-time environment and build the LFS system inside it.

--
Anderson Lizardo