Short-term nALFS roadmap

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at backtobasicsmgmt.com
Sat Sep 20 06:27:35 PDT 2003

Neven Has wrote:

>>Possibly with all this stuff that's being added, we could move a 2.0
>>release. If so, that would be an opportune time to make this change.
>

> 2.0 as a syntax version 2.0, or nALFS 2.0.0?  The below applies to the
> later. :)

Right.

> nALFS 2.0.0 would be way too high.  Changing that number goes with
> something like splitting the program into separate frontend and
> backend (just an example), or something in that rank.

Guess what's coming...fully libtoolized nALFS, which I haven't even
listed in bugzilla yet :-) What we get out of this:

- --enable/disable-shared support (fixes the static link issue)

- the stuff in src/lib now will be a shared library (libnALFS.so)
instead of a static library, meaning not only do we not have duplicate
source code, we don't even have duplicate object code

- the handlers can be versioned fairly easily, so the naming issue can
be dealt with

- other stuff I haven't completely formulated yet

- if we choose to allow it, we can install header files into
${prefix}/include that allows people to build handler modules
_separately_ from their nALFS build... that one will take some work,
though, and for little gain at this point

Stay tuned!

> But for 1.2.0, I think it would be perfect.  Along with P2 bugs.
>
> BTW, I would like to release 1.1.8 after fixing 668 (--with-ssl not
> adding relevant include directory) and 671 (duplicated curl code).

OK, I'll get 668 fixed right quick, it's a simple patch. I will also
get 671 fixed, even though it's not the optimal fix (that will come
after the libtool work is done).

> And if more P3 bugs are fixed before P2 ones (and the way Kevin
> started working on them, there's a good chance of that happening :),
> there is no reason not to release 1.1.9 soon after as well.

Yeah, I find particular types of things more interesting to work on,
instead of going by bug priority. I hope that's OK... just make sure
that things that really, really need to be in the next release are
mared appropriately and hopefully one of us will address them.