Optimize code

Ioan Ionita opslynx at gmail.com
Tue May 9 21:55:17 PDT 2006

On 5/9/06, Jeremy Byron <rjjbyron at shaw.ca> wrote:

> I do like this "-j3" flag though; between that and compiling highmem
> into my kernel to use all 2GB (doh!) my reported build time has gone
> down from 5.0h to 1.5h with "-O 2 -T 1". :D

OT kinda..
That's a gain of over 300%, quite a lot. I would understand reducing
the build time in almost half by using both cores of the FX-60, but
your reduction is a lot bigger.  Using 3 threads on 2 cores would also
incur additional scheduling overhead, so there should be an increase
in system time. RAM shouldn't really make that much of a difference
between 700 megs or however much is addressable without high mem and
2GB. Are you sure those times are accurate? Did you run the same test
suites every time? Where's the extra 200% coming from?

Ioan